This is a first for me, it is what I like to call a Movie Dream cast in which I take one of my favorite book series and make my own cast for that particular adaptation for either a movie or TV series for this one I am doing The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa. It is one of my favorite book series and now let’s get started.
For this I am naming at least 3 candidates who I think should be cast as the characters.
First our main female lead Linh Cinder, who is a mechanic who happens to be part cyborg, but is essentially the emotional core of the series. Here are my 3 picks
- Shay Mitchell: She is who Marissa Meyer pictured when writing Cinder, and I think she is good pick. I think she could pull off the sass but also a lot of the emotional scenes especially what will come up in furture books
- Chloe Bennet: From Agents of Shield, I think she could really pull of a lot of the action scenes especially in Scarlet, Cress and Winter. Also, in season 2 and 3 of Agents of Shield, see also pulls off a lot of dramatic movements.
- Seychelle Gabriel: I know she is mostly does voice work, and from what people see her as Princess Yue from the Last Airbender movie we do not speak of. She did do voice work on Legend of Korra, and I think she also has the look of Cinder. She also showed off some action scenes in Falling Skies.
Next on the character list in Prince/Emperor Kai, love interest to Cinder and Emperor of Commonwealth (formerly China). Also should be very handsome. For this one I have two.
- Harry Shum Jr: From Glee and now playing Magnus on the Shadow hunters series. And with a suit, and the looks he could be a good Kai.
- Ki Hong Lee: From the Maze Runner movies and also from Kimmy Schmidt he has the looks, but also the range to be Kai. Going from seriuos leader to a man unlucky in love. I can picture him as Kai.
The next character is the red headed Scarlet. Caring Scarlet who has to look for her grandmother, who has a dangerous secret. My choices are,
- Sophie Turner: With her work in Game of Thrones and the upcoming Xmen Apocalypse, she is coming up in the acting world, and if you watch Game of Thrones she has the performance capacity for the role.
- Holland Roden: From MTV’s Teen Wolf, so she has experience with wolves. But also does a good job in the show.
- Georgie Henley: I know, she’s from another adaptation, the Narnia series. She is grown up, and I think she be a feisty, which is a good character trait for Scarlet.
Our next hero is our favorite scoundrel, Carswell Thorne who I like to describe as Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly meets Jack Harkness of Torchwood/Doctor Who. A man who loves his ship and the ladies.
- Sam Clafin: Finnick from Hunger Games. I see him as a cocky young scoundrel who did a great job as Finnick in the Hunger Games series.
- Colton Haynes: Also from Teen Wolf and more recently Arrow. Good looking, charming everything Thorne is.
- Armie Hammer: “He’s 6’5 220 and there’s two of him” not really. But he also has the charm to play Thorne. Yes, he was in a few flops, but was great in The Social Network and J. Edgar.
Next is Wolf, a Lunar operative turned good. A charming bad boy with a heart of gold. My choices are:
- Nathan Parsons: From Vampire Diaries/The Originals. I know he plays a wolf in both shows you see a little dark side in him.
- Dan Ewing: From Power Rangers RPM. His character started off as lone wolf trying to escape is past. Then he joins the rangers, sort of like Wolf in the book.
Next character is Cress. The young girl who lives in a satellite and never seen Earth. With her wide eyes here are my choices:
- Anna Sophia Robb: She has those bright eyes, and is young actress I would love to see get more work.
- Evanna Lynch: This is also an obvious choice. I admit I pictured her when reading the book. Her bright eyes also fit.
- Carmen Bicondova: While I am very mixed on Gothan. She is great as future Catwomen and also has those innocent eyes Cress has.
Next up is Winter, Queen Levana’s step daughter who doesn’t use her Lunar gifts which has some side effects. She also has an innocence towards her. I have 2 great choices.
- Amandla Stenberg: Rue, from the Hunger Games, now she is grown up and I think has the innocence to play Winter.
- Zendaya Coleman: Also has the look of innocence Winter has, but also grown as a young actress.
Last for the heroes is Jacin Clay, works for Levana who is really with Princess Winter. Also very charming.
- Lucas Till: from X-men and also the charming cowboy from the Hannah Montana movie. He was also in the running to play Peeta.
- Taron Edgerton: from Kingsman, he can really act and in Cress, I think we can play someone who you don’t know what side is he on.
- Hunter Parrish: After Weeds, I would like to see him in more stuff. He was great on Broadway, in Spring Awakening.
Next is some of the supporting characters. First is the wicked Stepmother Lihn Adri
- Sandra Oh: If you watch Grey’s Anatomy, you should know
- Lucy Liu: She did very well playing cold-hearted on Ally Mcbeal
- Yunjim Kim: She was very good on Lost, and deserves a lot more work.
Next the good Dr. Erland. An ally to Cinder and a good wise man and great Mentor. My choices are:
- Martin Freeman : Bilbo, Watson, and Lester. In Fargo he proved he can handle dramatic material and be more than Sherlock’s sidekick.
- Mandy Patinkin: He is amazing on Homeland, and also plays a mentor to Carrie, the main lead on Homeland.
- Christoph Waltz: Yes he usually plays a bad guy, but I think it would be nice for him to play a good guy.
Now for the main villains. First Sybill Mara, Queen Levana right hand women. My choices are:
- Emily Blunt: She proved herself with Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario, she is a capable actress that can handle action.
- Ruth Negga: She is someone who can play cold-hearted bitch. She did it on Agents of Shield.
- Ruth Wilson: If you watch Luther, you will see why.
Next is Aimery Park: Sybill’s Mara’s replacement, also as cold as Sybill Mara
- Taye Diggs: I really want to see him play a villain.
- Djimon Hounsou: One of favorite actor, who deserves more than being a glorified extra in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Idris Elba: Another great actor who in after seeing Beasts of No Nation. I can see him playing a great villain role.
Now for the main villain Queen Levana. This was a tough one.
- Lana Parilla: I know too obvious, I couldn’t resist. She is great on Once upon a Time and Levana wouldn’t be that big a stretch for her.
- Morena Baccarin: She has the look, and the acting style. She can pull it off.
- Madeline Stowe: Watching Revenge right now and she can pull off being a cold-calculating bitch.
Now for the writer and director. I also think Marissa Meyer should also be involved. For the writers I choose:
Jane Espenson: Who wrote for Once Upon a Time, Torchwood and Battlestar Galactica. She could just combine all of those and make a great movie.
Another writer is Marti Noxon: who as written Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Both women, I think has the capacity to write compelling female characters in both the heroes and the villains.
Now for the directors. This is another tough one. I have chosen.
Joss Whedon: Avengers, Buffy, Firefly, he has written anything with geekdom. He could also handle a great cast of characters who have distinct personalities that has to work together. Now that he is done with Avengers, this is another series he could be a part of.
Kenneth Branagh: He directed the first Thor movie and also the 2015 Cinderella (haha) and could pull off creating the world of the Lunar Chronicles.
There you have it my sort Lunar Chronicles movie. I know I may missed some supporting characters. I will get to them. And if you have your own ideas for casting, let me know in the comments below.